- Offering boating safety courses is a traditional civic
service of the United States Power Squadrons. For over
half-a-century, KSPS has offered public courses to
anyone who wished to attend. To date thousands of
residents of Southwest Michigan have taken boating
- Currently KSPS offers Americas' Boating Course,
(formerly Boat Smart) a course designed to cover topics
useful to the angler in an outboard, or to the skipper of
a large cruiser or sailboat, as well as those operating
Personal Water Craft PWC or wave runners.
- Successful completion qualifies you for a discount on
boat insurance rates from most insurance companies
and membership in USPS and KSPS.
- There is also a home-study version available.
- A special boating course for youth ages 12 to 16 is
offered in Kalamazoo.
- KSPS also offers member discounted courses.
Beginning in 2011, non-members may also take these
courses, but there is a substantially lower cost per topic
for USPS and KSPS members.
- The Experienced Boater program recognizes that many experienced boaters have
already mastered the fundamentals of safe boating. Therefore, we are making
available to experienced boaters the opportunity to demonstrate their qualification
for KSPS membership through a skills evaluation process. For more information,
please contact our Squadron Education Officer: Wally Corder (269) 365-3398
- Guides and Seminars: A series of short guides on a wide variety of subjects of
interest to boaters are also available; these are known as USPS Guides. Some
Guides are also available to the public at various marine supply stores and book
stores. These items may be used in USPS® classroom courses and seminars or for
home study. Click here for link to seminar topics.
- USPS is preparing a series of short seminars open to the public on a variety of
topics of interest to today's boating public.
Click your back button
or any button above.
|The state of Michigan has taken steps to make
boating education mandatory
Beginning November 1, 2012, a person who is born
on or after July 1, 1996 shall not operate a motorboat
on the waters of Michigan unless the person has been
issued and is in possession of a boating safety
certificate. By the year 2050 that will include everyone
under the age of 54.